Friday, October 10, 2008

Flu Shots

Now I don't know if it was seeing me get a shot last week, but Nathan's performance at the Doctor's office yesterday was a hoot, Andrew's was predictable.

We left around 8:30 for a 9:00 appointment and as we were getting in the car Andrew says "my stomach feels funny", wel,l he is the one who always has issues when he gets nervous so I just asked him to sit down and let me know if it gets worse. We arrived right on time, however, as usual they were 20 minutes late getting us in, thank goodness for the three kids from another family who kept mine occupied. Once in the nurse weighed the kids...Andrew has passed the 50lb mark on the scale and Nathan weighed in at 38lbs. Then into the exam room. Nathan volunteered to go first so he jumps up on the table and pulls up his shirt sleeve for the nurse, she looked at me with a questioning look but got to work with the alcohol wipe. I told Nathan he did not have to look but he was facinated. He watched the shot go in, did not even flinch and said "Wow!". The nurse looked at me again and asked "Did he just say Wow?" I don't think that is the most common response for kids getting a shot.

Andrew on the other hand has a history of jumping out of the chair before the alcohol wipe even touches his arm, and he did not dissappoint again, he started squirming away as soon as she opened the package, I told him not to look and I think he shut his eyes, but he squeeled the whole time. He was happy to see that the bandaide was yellow, his favorite color.

On the way to drop Andrew off at school I asked how his stomach was....just fine!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You must have been a good example for Nathan & he should have been a good example for Andrew but...prior experience & behavior seemed to prevail. Congrats to Nathan for a pleasant & entertaining visit to the doctor's for his flu shot!