Monday, October 5, 2009

Small Pox???


No we do not have small pox in the house, but guess how surprised I was to hear that Nathan has a version of it!

Back story...for a few months now Nathan has had couple of bumps on the inside of his right arm, just below the elbow. I did not think too much of it since he did not complain about them. Then I notices a couple weeks ago that they had multiplied...again, did not worry since they did not seem to bother him but I thought I would bring it up at the next well-kid visit (in February). This Saturday I noticed one was inflamed. Over the weekend I had to puncture it and lots of white yuck (technical term) came out and I thought it might be a good idea to see the doctor. So this morning I called and we went in after school.

He was diagnosed with

Molluscum Contagiosum


Yes...see that last word....contagious!! It is a viral infection. If you google it you will find that each bump can last 6-9 months and is very contagious and can keep spreading making it years before it goes away. It is especially dangerous to immune challenged people. So we have a cream for the one that is infected and the doctor told me to "pop" the others and it will go away faster...this should be fun.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hadn't heard about this malady affecting Nathan. Is it clearing up? Mom K.